Background

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Versatile Blogger Award



It never occurred to me when I started Chubby Chatterbox seven months ago that fellow bloggers would be kind enough to single out my efforts for recognition. I was humbled and honored last Thursday when Jenny Woolf drew attention to Chubby Chatterbox on her marvelous blog, An English Travel Writer*. Thanks Jenny.


I’m supposed to list seven things about myself and then nominate a few of the blogs I enjoy. Most of these tidbits about me are included in my memoir, The Kid in the Kaleidoscope: A Chubby Chatterbox Grows Up in the Fifties, Sixties and Beyond…

Here goes:


#1. I was raised in a very strict family and I was the only one with a sense of humor. Growing up I could say just about anything I wanted and nobody took me seriously or knew what I was talking about.


#2. I’m a big history buff and I love anything having to do with Ancient Rome. One of

my oldest possessions is The Horizon Book of Ancient Rome given to me on my twelfth Christmas.


#3. I’ve been on just about every diet there is over the years and I once fasted for an entire week. A conservative estimate of weight I’ve lost in my lifetime would add up to approximately five hundred pounds. No, I’ve never come close to weighing that much; I tip the scale at closer to two hundred pounds. But if you walk up to me with a bathroom scale you’ll be impressed by how fast I can run.


#4. I was hired to teach painting at a prestigious art college when board members

confused me with someone else whose name I shared. I tried for eight years, without success, to convince them I wasn’t “that other guy.”


#5. I’m married to my high school sweetheart and we’ve been together for forty years. She’s my best friend and soul mate.


#6. I once had a nasty altercation with actor Don Ameche, but my most memorable encounter with a celebrity came when I accidentally ran down Jerry Brown, governor of California, with my car.


#7. I once found forty thousand dollars worth of artwork, including a Picasso, that had accidentally been thrown into a dumpster.


Here are a few blogs I’d like to nominate for this award, in no particular order. Be sure to add the green button to your blog and, if you’re so inclined, reveal seven things about yourself, and then nominate blogs you enjoy.


BEELZEBUG

Flight Plan

Grumpy Bulldog’s Blog

La Tejana

Don’t Feed the Pixies

Unbagging the Cats

Tom Cochran/ Light breezes


Not that I deserve them, but I hope to have an opportunity to share more awards with other blogging friends.


17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award. Very well deserved I might add.

    Have a fantastic day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award.

    You and I would be great friends in person, I think.
    I am married to my high school sweetheart as well and we too celebrated our 40th last year.

    I love history.

    I have been on every diet ever devised. The funny thing about me is I am not overweight but have to diet continually to keep at the weight I want to be. This is more due to the fact, I don't ever want to have to go clothes shopping. If I would add up all the 5 pounds up and never subtract the 5 pounds down, I would weigh 900+ pounds.

    I once, got hired because the person thought my last name was Latino and wanted some diversity in the workplace. My last name is Dutch. Es and Zs confuse people. I tried to convince them for 3 years to no avail.

    Kudos on the artwork find. There is where our similarities end. I have never found a darn thing of any monetary value. I, however, have found a lot of value that is in no way related to money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow on #7!
    And that's funny about Jerry Brown. A friend of mine dated him. It wasn't memorable.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you can't get a leg lamp as a special award, this is the next best thing. Congratulations!

    I would love to hear more about the Don Ameche altercation.

    It is an honor just to be nominated, but I regret that I have already been awarded this award. I really need to put it somewhere in my sidebar. I will, however. post seven things about myself. Because that's my favorite topic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your award and thank you! What happened with the Picasso? Did you find the owner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: #7 - It's obvious he didn't stay down

    Congratulations on the award

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly and Uncle Skip:

    I not only found a Picasso, I also found a Marc Chagall. Both had last been owned by a Las Vegas Gallery that had gone out of business. I seriously considered keeping them but in the end decided to avoid bad karma by returning them. I wasn't even given a reward. I doubt I'd make that same decision today.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew! I am glad you ran down Jerry Brown in your car, and not in person. It was reading that stuff about you running away from someone with some scales.

    I'm trying to calculate the amount of weight I want to lose right now, using the unit of chocolate biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'm so honored you would include me in a list of worthwhile blogs to read. I'll write tomorrow about 7 things of interest (interest being relevant) about myself. Thanks so much!

    Now you can't just spring #6 on us and leave it hanging like that. Come on...details. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!

    And wow on No. 7 - did you at least have your name in the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, especially on being the one with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your award and thanks for nominating me for one. It is great to know that I have at least one person that reads my rubbish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ancient Rome is also my favourite period in history! Congratulations on your well-deserved award! (I too would love the low-down on Don Ameche!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. why thank you kindly for the shout out - i was going to say that i'd never heard of Don Ameche - but Wikipedia has proved me wrong, as i have seen at least 3-4 of his films

    The award was well deserved by yourself btw

    ReplyDelete
  15. A well-deserved recognition. And the seven things you revealed about yourself could each be developed into a separate blog post. You're set for ideas for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete